Slipped on stairs and got back injury. Swelling appeared. Looking for advice

My son slipped on the stairs and fell on his back. He hurt his lower back where there is swelling (Lumbar area L1-5). Please advise.

Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 25 minutes later

Following a fall on the back on the stairs the injured portion has swollen. If your son is able to move around and there is no weakness of the lower limbs then it is a superficial swelling which shall subside in due course of time. However, if there is weakness of the lower limbs and/or loss of sensation then immediate medical attention is required.

If the swelling is superficial then apply ice packs and give him analgesic in the form of acetaminophen 1/2 tab. three times a day.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.