Slipped on ice. Started getting pain on leg. MRI showed herniated l5. How to get cure?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Good Evening...Im 38 yo Male and I fell on ice 2 and a half weeks ago. I started to get pain down my right leg after about a few days. I went to Orthopedic surgeon and after an MRI, my L5 is herniated and pressing against my nerve. The doctor says that im a prime candidate for a Microdiscectomy. I cant walk 10 feet without horrendous pain and im home ridden on my couch for 18 hours of the day. My job requires me to be very physical and i avid body builder. Im somewhat scared to get this operation, although ive heard great results from it. My wife is all for it, my side of family has their negatives about it, I dont know what i should do? I dont want epidural as 2 family members get them every 2 months but have constant back pain. WHat should i do??? Thank you....
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

As per your clinical findings and MRI report you are suffering from PIVD at L5 level.
There are several treatment modalities with medicines, physiotherapy and with injections in the back called epidural injections and root/facet blocks.You can take trial of these conservative management for 6 weeks.
If your symptoms persist after these measures , you can go for surgical option.
You are young and active male requiring good physical demand, so you are good canditate for Microdisectomy. It is a good option and having good results.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.