Slipped down and having pain in back while bending. How long will it take to get cured?

Spine Surgeon
I was fly fishing yesterday and fell when I slipped on some leaves as I climbed down the bank to the river. My feet came out from under me and I landed on a sharp boulder that bruised the muscle(s) on the right side of the middle area of my back. There is no pain in my spine. I can walk and stand without much discomfort. However, when I bend down in certain positions I clearly get the message - DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!

I seem to be somewhat better today. Any idea how long this injury will take to heal? Thanks!

Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 30 minutes later
Thanks for the query. It seems to be the muscle injury. Bending forward makes the stretching of the back muscle and that causes the pain. Usually in case of such anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen (up to 400mg per dose, three times a day post meal), muscle relaxant and local ice and gel application. The pain will gradually subside and will get better in a week in otherwise healthy. During this period avoid bending forward, lifting any weight, sitting or standing in one position for longer period.
I hope this information helps you.