Slipped and twisted leg. Heard a crack sound and getting pain. What should I do?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i slipped on some water a month ago, and twisted my leg up to the hip connection and heard a crack and was really painful. now it snaps, cracks, creaks, and hurts when i stand, walk, sit, or anything. what do you think i should do? it hurts just sitting on my couch typing this. if i sit too long it seems to hurt worse just to get up and makes me kinda bend over. right now its kind of a burning painful thing right on my right front side hip
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

From description, it seems soft tissue injury or ligament injury at the hip joint. This is an important joint and the healing is really bad if prompt opinion not taken from the expert. You may need important investigations like Xray and MRI of the joint.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination.

Meanwhile I advice you but do not rely on these home care treatment without specialist's consult:
Hot fometation to the affected area.
Avoid putting weight and rest well.
You can take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce inflammation and pain under supervision of your treating doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health
Dr Saurabh Gupta