Slipped and landed on lower back. X-ray showed normal. Swelling and liquid filled bruise appeared. What to do?

i slipped on a grass field about 2 and half weeks ago, and landed on my back but more on the right side of the lower back upper buttock area, i had xrays to make sure it wasn't broken, nothing was broken but had huge bruises there that are finally gone, but the middle to the right upper buttock is swollen about 2 inches? than the left side, its not that painful but could i have some sort of fluid in that area?
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

As a result of the fall, you had developed soft tissue injury to the muscles and the subcutaneous tissues. Such injuries are usually self limiting and resolve with time.

The residual swelling which you have mentioned about is most likely the result of the subcutaneous ( underneath skin) injury. Its unlikely you do have some fluid there. Usually, whenever the tissue is injured, it swells up and this swelling may take time to resolve. Unless it is painful or is growing, it's of not much concern.

Be reassured. Watch out for a week more and it should settle down. You can also use cold compresses over the area for faster resolution,

If it persists inspite of this, you will need an ultrasound scan to see if there is any accumulation.

Do get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Slipped and landed on lower back. X-ray showed normal. Swelling and liquid filled bruise appeared. What to do? 5 hours later
thank you, sounds good, I will try to put more ice packs on it, my wife took a bunch of pics of that area, to see how it progressed especially the bruising,
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 5 hours later
Hi and thanks,

Please do so... Do let me know how you feel with it. It should resolve in a week’s time.

If you wish to share the pictures with me by you can upload them on this page.

Warm regards

Dr Kiran