Slipped and hit leg, swollen leg. Is it serious, advise?

i slipped and hit my leg against the side of bathtub and now the part of my leg that i hit is swollen is it serious what should i do
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 38 minutes later

From the symptoms, it looks like muscle inflammation due to the trauma to the muscles when you hit the bath tub. There is nothing to worry.

However if there is an increasing pain, swelling or deformity of the limb then a fracture can be considered. Pain caused by a broken bone is typically severe. Holding the bone still will decrease pain. Movement of the broken bone will increase pain.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on the leg and take some Motrin or Advil; it is available over the counter. You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain.

Give complete rest to the part and avoid doing any activity like walking or sitting for long intervals. Also apply topical muscle relaxants as they are helpful in quick healing.

If the swelling increases then you may need to get it checked from an orthopedician and get an x-ray done to rule out any fracture.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.