Slipped and got hurt on tailbone area. Noticed puss filled cyst. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi doc the other night I fell on the street and hurt my tailbone area. The next morning it was hurting really badly and so when I got home I took a look at it and there was this foggy puss comming out. Kind of like a zit except more fogger
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

You might having Pilonidal cyst over tailbone which might got infected after a fall.
If a pilonidal cyst becomes infected, the resulting abscess is often extremely painful. The cyst can be drained through a small incision or removed surgically.

People who sit for prolonged periods of time are at higher risk of developing a pilonidal cyst.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an doctor for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery....

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon.