Slipped and got hit on tailbone. Experiencing pain and stiffness. Should I consult a doctor?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I slipped on wet tile floor and my feet went out from underneath me and I fell back hitting the floor on my tail bone and experienced bad pain across the middle/lower back and edge of ribs on left back side are very painful to the touch should I go see a doctor or is this just a result of trama from the fall? I am moving around better this happened a week ago today but still experiencing stiffness and pain but not as bad as last week.
email: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

From description , it seems you might developed muscular or ligamentous strain over back and chest area.

Now after a week if pain is severe ,I would suggest getting this evaluated by a doctor for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required
• Avoid forward bending.
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.