Slipped and fell in the toilet, hurting buttocks, lower backache. Should doctor be consulted?

Hi ,I fell hard on my butt two day ago when I slipped and fell on the toilet floor .my butt still hurts and I have lower backaches.should I consult the doctor and what should I do next ?
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later

From your symptoms, it looks like I suggest you to apply warm compresses on your buttocks and take some prescription from your doctor. You can take anti inflammatory pain killers like Diclofenac or Ibuprofen. Alsop apply topical muscle relaxants on the area.

You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain. Avoid sitting down for long periods of time especially on hard surfaces. If you have to sit down on a stool or bench, then use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on which has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the buttocks from contacting the flat surface. Also try to avoid direct weight on the hips and eat a diet XXXXXXX in fiber to avoid any constipation which may aggravate the pain.

If the pain persists then get a CT scan of the area done which is one of the better investigations for detecting any injury to the coccyx.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.