Slightly yellowish and watery discharge,on tamoxifen. Tested negative for SDI. Is it vaginitis ?

May 2013
hi im hoping you can help me as im going insane here. im currently on tamoxifen and have been for three years now and i am noticing my discharge is slightly more yellowish and watery than usual but also have some dryness!if that makes sense. i got tested for sdi end of last year and was clear. i have read that this can be a symptom of astrophic vaginitis do you know if this is true?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

the possible causes for your symptoms are,
-vaginal discharge as side effect of tamoxifen,
-vaginal discharge and dryness as part of atrophic vaginitis caused by tamoxifen,
-presence of vaginal infection can also cause increase vaginal discharge but it is usually foul smelling,
-alteration in vaginal discharge can occur as part of menstrual cycle like before periods, at the time of ovulation, during intercourse etc.

so you consult gynecologist,
undergo physical examination,
swab culture from the vaginal discharge,
this will possibly find out the cause,

you can use water based vaginal lubricants,
estrogen creams or suppositories with her advice to decrease the symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.