Slightly hardened area on frontal tongue, painful, have increased salivation. What is it?

ENT Specialist
I have developed in the past 48 hours a painful slightly hardened area on the left front of my tongue. It is not red or an open sore but it is interfering with my eating and sleep and I have increased salivation. What's going on and how may I alleviate the symptoms?
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The painful lump is most probably an area of inflammation.

2. This may result due to a tongue bite, an allergy, a foreign body, a blood borne infection, drug induced reactions and nutritional deficiencies.

3. You may try an OTC painkiller (anti-inflammatory) for a day since there is increased salivation and interference with eating and sleeping.

4. If there is no improvement, you must make an appointment with a dentist or ENT specialist for a direct examination and palpation. You doctor may order a USG (Ultrasound) to inspect the deeper tissue, blood tests and a tongue doppler if available.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.