Slight throbbing pain in the centre of chest, tightness, palpitations. Could this be a heart problem ?

Hi, I asked a question last week which was answered, i was then ok for the past week since that. 2 nights ago (no alchohol consumed since last week) i had a slight throbbing pain in my the centre of my chest and a tightness, i found it uncomfortable for about 2 hours to sit in any position. I have now had this on an off for the last 2 days. I have also had some palpatations. I can still breath normally, although i get a strange sensation that palpatations may start just before i start breathing in. I also had bad heartburn when i woke up this morning. I appreciate that this could be a sustained anxiety attack, and i am booking an appointment with my GP tomorrow to get further tests, but i was just wondering if this was something that i needed checking out immediately at the hospital? I guess a serious heart problem couldn't last for 3 days?
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
A chest tightness with palpitations might be related to a cardiac problem. Sometimes anginal pains may last for even week. You need a thorough evaluation to find out the cause of your symptoms. Other possibilities include gastro esophageal reflux, anxiety disorder, muscular pain.
In case the pain increases associated with palpitations, sweating, fainting, etc, then you must attend an ER immediately.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.