Slight swelling on foot, knee post menisscetomy. Any insights?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had partial menisscetomy of the medial side of my right kne which was a large bucket handle tear on the posterior horn alongside acl reconstruction with an allograft. I am two and half weeks out of surgery and am seeing swelling in my right foot, especially near the ankle area. I am supposed to keep my knee immobilizer on for another three weeks and have been told not to put weight on it since. But I have started to put weight on it and it doesn't seem so bad. Also my Flexion is not going past 60 degrees yet since I only started rehab this week. I still have swelling in the knee and considerable swelling that look like blood spots. It feels like the bone they drilled to hold the acl is still leaking blood down my leg to my foot area. Any insight on that and the Flexion and wether to weight bear?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

It is early to bear weight before 4-5 weeks of ACL reconstruction.Swelling in your right ankle seems to be due to your early weight bearing.

As you had started rehab since one week,I suggest you to continue knee range of motion exercises,you can be able to flex your knee fully.

I suggest you to keep knee immobilizer and avoid putting full weight. Continue doing physical therapy and motion exercise to regain full flexion and extension.
For swelling apply ice packs and elevate the limb.

Hope this will helps you .Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Slight swelling on foot, knee post menisscetomy. Any insights? 10 minutes later
Thank for the answers. Also my bruising which at the area of the drilling is still spotty along down my leg, it seems to be going away though, is that normal. And there seems to be a pool of blood where the bruising is that leads down my leg. It is very prominent when I take off my knee immoblizer for exercises, it inflats with blood, but goes away when i exercise, I have an ace bandage wrapped around my knee and then the immbolizer, can you shed some light on that. Also with regards to walking and driving again, do you estimate another three to four weeks? And another concern of mine is the partial meniscotomy I had done, do you think i will be safe from arthritis?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Some bruising and extravasation of blood to the area is normal after surgery and drilling the bone. Pooling of blood down to the leg seems to be due to effect of gravity. During compression bandage over knee and applying knee brace swelling decreases due to this reason.
Do not worry , it will be absorbed with time. I suggest you to elevate the limb when you had swelling over your ankle and foot.
For walking without support and driving , it will take approx 3-4 weeks more.
The meniscus acts as a shock absorber, so in theory, removing part of it would lead to more stress on the articular cartilage and bones. While there is no way to predict if patient will develop later arthritis or how quickly, it is a potential concern.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon