Slight discomfort in anus and felt small knot. Hurts to touch. How to get rid of it?

Question
Hey.. The other day I felt a slight discomfort right inside my anus. It worried me so I used my finger and found a small knot. It is tender to the touch. It does not really hurt unless touched but I can feel something there while sitting. Help???
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for writing to us.

If you could answer the following queries for me:

-Are you experiencing any blood in your stools? Constipation or diarrhea? Pain while passing stool? Although you have mentioned an uneventful history, I still wish to ask: history of similar complaints? History of hemorrhoids?

From your presentation, it could be any of the following:

Hemorrhoids, warts, abscess, hypertrophic anal papilla, or other infections. Cancer is a rarest possibility.

In my opinion, your problem could be that of hemorrhoids, which can be both XXXXXXX and external. However, this can only be confirmed by an anal and rectal examination, by a doctor.

If hemorrhoids have been ruled out after the examination, it should be followed up with a proctoscopy or sigmoidoscopy (endoscopic examination to visualize the anal canal and rectum more clearly, a biopsy can also be taken at the same time).

Please visit a board certified surgeon for a physical examination. I am sure a diagnosis can be readily made by this, and your treatment can be initiated, which will be simple and will soon relieve you of your complaints.

I hope I have helped in providing you with the information you were looking for. Feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Slight discomfort in anus and felt small knot. Hurts to touch. How to get rid of it? 9 hours later
No history of hemmrhoid a or anything similar to that. I have no blood in stool. Haven't experienced diarrhea. I recently started working out and taking generic adipex. I do not lift a lot of weights but was thinking this could be the cause. When should I go to the doctor? It's not painful just a little discomfort when touched. I sit all day at work also

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 minutes later
Hi, thank you for your response.

Weight lifting could be avoided at this moment, as any strain could result in a bleed. You can visit a doctor at the earliest, as an early diagnosis can spare you the trouble that could be caused by an aggravated condition.

I understand you have a desk job, and this can also add to your condition and discomfort. Although you are currently not experiencing anything serious, it is best we diagnose and treat your condition at this stage.

Feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.
Best wishes.