Slept on hand by folding it. Started getting tingling sensation on palm and hand. Worrisome

I flew on a plane and slept with my arms on that little fold down table and my head on my arms... I was only asleep for maybe an hour or two.... when I woke up I felt tingly in the bottom outer portion of my palm and up the sides... In both hands. Now I am very sensitive right above my elbow (towards my hand) what could this be? It has lasted 3days now. I'm worried
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 44 minutes later

Thanks for posting this query.

I have noted all your complaints and image attached.

The tingling sensations that you had could be related to pressure on nerves while sleeping. I am not sure if this has improved or not.
1. I would not have been concerned if it has improved.
2. If it has not improved yet, as you have symptoms in both sides you will need a clinical examination by a neurophysician. Your neurologist by means of detailed examination can determine if there are signs of peripheral nerve damage. He/she may subsequently order tests like elbow, it may be related to the nerve compression.

Therefore, I urge you to visit your doctor's office for detailed examination and tests. In the interim taking vitamin b12 supplements will benefit you.

Hope this will help you. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Wish you good health

Dr Gopal Krishna Dash
MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology), Post-doctoral fellowship (Epilepsy)
Apollo Hospital, Hyderabad