Slept having hand below pillow. Noticed tingling at 2 finger tips. What is wrong?

I appreciated the answer by Dr. XXXXXXX I have been to about 3 Drs. and will be set up with another specialist but he is very busy and it will be possibly 2 months before I can get in. In the meantime it seems to get stiffer. I had had an MRI of my head and nothing there. They know it isn't circulatory but it seems to be a mystery concering the nerves???? I used sleep with my hand under my pillow and probably bent with my head on it. The other hand is beginning to have some tingling at 2 finger tips, and toes have a strange feeling when doubled up. My DR had me have a blood test last appt. I know he is checking for anything lacking in my system etc.????? I appreciate any input you may have. Thank you for your interest. XXXXX
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral neuropathy is a possibility...

Detailed Answer:

I apologize for the late response.

Based on your symptoms, intracranial vascular dysfunction/demylination was the last thing that I had in my mind. I wouldn't have ordered MRI of head as the first set of investigation. Any way since that is done and normal, it rules out central causes. I hope your doctors have also checked your peripheral pulses too.

In my opinion peripheral neuropathy arising due to pinched nerve or metabolic abnormalities is most likely possibility.

I expect your doctors to check your blood sugar, thyroid function, vitamin b12, calcium and vitamin D levels besides routine hemogram. I would also order X-ray and MRI screening of neck. The aforementioned test should provide sufficient clues to isolate the exact cause.
Pressure on nerves and blood vessels secondary to abnormal posture of sleeping can cause numbness and tingling; but the symptoms here improves spontaneously within minutes unless the posture has left behind permanent effect on peripheral nerves. Your doctors can perform nerve conduction tests if the above set of tests are negative to exclude this rare possibility.

As the aforementioned tests are under process, your doctors can start you on vitamin B12 and antioxidant supplements for few weeks.

Discuss with your treating doctor and keep me updated.

Follow-up: Slept having hand below pillow. Noticed tingling at 2 finger tips. What is wrong? 12 hours later
Thank you for you reply to my mumb hand problem. I appreaciated all of your coments and your suggestions. They sounded very plausable and went along with some of the things I have read in my old Dr. books.
Thank you again. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome...

Detailed Answer:
If you are convinced with my reply and you don't need clarification, I would like you to close this discussion. Write your review to help me earn my credit.

Good luck to you!!