Sleepy, headache, body ache, dizzy, high BP, diabetes, not hungry, not thirsty

Hi I have been very sleepy have headaches, body aches, dizziness and I have high blood pressure and diabetes. and I am 48 years old, but I can hardly keep my eyes open. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I am not hungary or very thirsty either. Could there be anything wrong?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

With the complaints you have listed here there certainly could be something going on. We have to consider various categories of things which could give you the symptoms would you report. You mentioned that you have high blood pressure in addition to diabetes. Diabetes is well known for causing dizziness as well as significant and sometimes severe fatigue. If your blood sugar is quite high. It can give you these types of symptoms. I wonder if you have been checking your blood sugar or if there is any way for you to get a blood test to test for that kind of abnormality.

Now blood pressure fluctuation can also cause a number of symptoms including headaches and possibly dizziness. If you have been checking your blood pressure I would look for fluctuations. Again we want to make sure your blood pressure is no higher than 120/80. A bit of fluctuation up of that is not a problem but if it is much higher than this. We need to consider both lifestyle modifications and possibly some medication. Again it is very difficult to determine for sure if blood pressure is the reason why you are feeling like you do or if something else is going on.

In addition to the function of your thyroid can also provide symptoms of severe fatigue. The fact that you can barely keep your eyes open is very concerning. This could possibly be your thyroid. A simple blood test will be able to tell you if this is the case. In addition, sometimes mild viral infections can cause severe fatigue as well as dizziness and sometimes headaches.

At this point I recommend that you visit with your good complete physical examination is certainly something that you would benefit from. In addition some screening bloodwork can be done to make sure there is no abnormality with your thyroid. In addition your blood couch can be checked. A low hemoglobin or I mean you can also create a situation where you might feel quite fatigued and tired. I would recommend that you see your physician at some point soon within the next few days.

I hope you have found my response to be both informative and helpful. If you have any additional concerns I am available to address them.

Dr. Robert.