Sleepwalking, talking in sleep, high BP, taken Betaloc. Family history of sleep disorder. Did I get BP due to sleep disorder?

I have sleep disorder. I dream things and act as if its happening really during sleep. I blabber at nights and even shout loud. Some times i walk during sleep without my knowledge. I have not taken any medicine till now. My father had this problem in his early age but he is alright now.

In 2006 i was diagonised with High BP. it was primary hypertension , I took betaloc - 50 medicine . Currnetly i am not taking any medicine but BP is close to normal.

Should i have got BP because of this sleep disorder. People say that if u start taking BP tablets you have to continue life long. is it true?

Age : 27
Weight : 86 kgs
Height : 176 cms

Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later

From the description it looks like you have sleep problems like sleep talking and sleepwalking (somnambulism). Sleepwalking is clustered in families, and the percentage of childhood sleepwalking increases to 45% if one parent was affected as in your case.

If the sleep problems in you are not causing any major problems, best is to keep away XXXXXXX items and locking doors and windows before sleep to reduce risks of harmful activity. Drugs like low dose of benzodiazepines may be used if severe.

Regarding the blood pressure (BP), I personally feel lifestyle modification with strict diet control can regulate BP and one can stop medicines if BP is normal. However if you discontinue these measures the chances of recurrence is high. Stress, sleep and BP are closely related. Hence sleep deprivation can increase stress and can be cause of early hypertension.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist