Sleeplessness, sleep apnea, CPAP, on cymbalta, wellbutrin, zoloft. Treatment?

42 y/o XXXXXXX BSO 6 wks ago d/t stage 1 endometrial ca. First few weeks I slept fine. Last 3 weeks I have such difficulty falling asleep. I have sleep apnea but am unable to wear my CPAP d/t it regularly interfers w/ my sleep. I am on 3 different antidepressants (Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Zoloft). I work night shift and am afraid of the inabilty to sleep when I need to after returning to work. Prior to surgery I was taking a sleep aid 3-4x a week (Ativan & Restoril). My Dr does not want to give me hormones d/t to risk of other female cancers. Help!! What can I do. It doesn't matter if I am physically tired or mentally exhausted, my brain decides when I sleep. Also sleep is short 4-5hrs
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Recent surgery that too due to cancer and chronic diseases like sleep apnea are big enough stress factors to cause insomnia and as you are already suffering from insomnia this problem has got further precipitated.

Your doctor is very right in pointing out that any kind of hormonal therapy will not be good for you.You can try these simple measures to help you fall asleep-
1.Practice relaxation exercises like yoga, breathing exercises.
2. Take the milk of XXXXXXX seeds at night before going to bed.
3.Indulge yourself in mild exercise during the day.
4.Stick to a regular sleeping schedule.
5. Try hot foot bath before going to sleep.
6. Decrease intake of tea and coffee specially do not take caffeine after 4.00 PM
I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful.
Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.