Sleeplessness, sensitivity to loud noise, loss of memory. Diagnosed with dyslesic, adopted baby. Why she can't progress?

I have a twelve year old daughter who we adoptEd as an infant. She was delivered vaginally with no complications. The BirthMom says she didn't use any drugs during the pregnancy but our pediatrician thinks she may have. Maddie doesn't sleep much now and started out not sleeping. We would do everything to make her comfortable and happy and put her to bed and then the screaming would start and sometimes go on for hours before she would go to sleep. She is very aggravated at loud noise, we must take her and leave the room if the music is too loud at church. She is very smart and knows where everyone is and what all the schedules are for each family member but she has been diagnosed as very Dyslesic which we are working on with a tutor, but there is something else going on along with that because we work on math for about an hour each day and the next day everything she learned the day before is gone, just gone! She is sweet and to look at her you would not think that there is anything wrong but something is not right when it seems she can't progress past a 2nd or 3rd grade intelligence level.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

First, It is difficult to ascertain the use of any medicine by her mother during the time of pregnancy. This kind of problem may occur in children even without drug use during pregnancy. So, you have to believe her natural mother regarding this.

Apart from that drug use history, we do not have much implication in solving this problem. As she is already having learning disability which is very common for mathematics, you also get her Intelligent Quotient (IQ) assessment done as it may be one of the reasons.

You mention that she is very wise socially which is against having poor IQ. There may be some other psychological problems possible for her current suffering. But children do not open easily, so it is better to visit with her child psychologist.

Child psychiatrist or psychologist can do IQ assessment and can establish rapport with her and communicate well with her regarding any problem or stress, she is facing. After the assessment treatment plan can be formulated.

I hope this answer your query. Should you have any additional concerns, let me know. I will be glad to assist you.