Sleeplessness, palpitations. Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Taking Neomercazole and Inderal. Recovery period?

Endocrinologist
Question
Thank you doctor for providing this opportunity. I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroid about 20 days back. My TSH was <0.0001. Doctors has advised me to take Neomercazole (20 mg/day) and Inderal (40mg/day). I am still having the same symptoms such as heart palpitations (not always but all of a sudden), sleeplessness, body cramps, weakness, sweatiness, etc and is unable to perform work (gets tired even if I attend a call and presently on leave). Whenever I have Inderal, my uneasiness increases especially heart beats. I did a re-test yesterday and nothing has improved. I am very worried thinking if I can ever be normal and work again (does not want to undergo any surgery). I want to understand –
•     What is the typically duration it takes to get back to some sort of normal health?
•     What is the diet I has to take, if any specific to what she should avoid?
•     Is it normal to have increased heart beats after medications?
•     Can I continue working ignoring the symptoms and just follow medications? Or Will working be detrimental for my health now?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 23 hours later
Hello

Thanks for posting the query

I do understand that you had been suffering from hyperthyroidism and have been on medications. Hyperthyroidism is a condition that leads to increased production of Thyroxine (T4 and T3) from your thyroid gland. Your palpitation weakness and sweating are all due to increase in the levels of thyroxine.

Neomercazole helps to decrease the thyroxine levels in your blood. Surgery is not usually required unless you have a very big neck swelling. Radioactive iodine treatment is another option for treating patients with hyperthyroidism. It is difficult to decide on these options, without adequate examination and evaluation and you can discuss with your endocrinologist.

Question: What is the typically duration it takes to get back to some sort of normal health?

Generally you would be normal within 3 to 6 months, but neomercazole has to be continued for atleast 18 to 24 months, so that the disease does not come again.

Question: What is the diet I has to take, if any specific to what she should avoid?

Iodine containing foods has to be avoided. Use only non iodized salts. Avoid sea foods, using Iodex for pain, Cough syrup containing iodine.

Question: Is it normal to have increased heart beats after medications?

It may take some time. If still have increase heartbeat, you can discuss with your endocrinologist and increase the dose of Inderal.

Question: Can I continue working ignoring the symptoms and just follow medications? Or Will working be detrimental for my health now?

You can definitely continue working.