Sleeplessness caused due to stress, infatuation and tension. Should I take sleeping pills?

i am 31 year old Man, i am finding very difficult to sleep at nights, i know the cause, this may be due to that i am still single or office work tension, infactuation or a little family problem, but everyone has these kind of problems, but why am i not able to control or relax my mind? i am not able to stop thinking? Do i need to take sleeping pills? if so do i need to consult doctor or without consulting i can take pill? please help
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You are having difficulty sleeping due to various reasons like office work tension, infatuation or a little family problem.

These are all normal problems and you need not get tensed and lose sleep due to this. Depression and anxiety seem to be the reason for this and you are not able to control your emotions.

To relax your mind and and stop thinking you could do exercises, jogging, meditation or mental games like chess or billiards which will help to focus your mind.

I believe that meditation, especially guided imaginary meditation to be the most powerful way to gain control over your mind and create the changes you desire.

If all this fails you could try Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). CBT can help you to change how you think ('Cognitive') and what you do ('Behaviour'). These changes can help you to feel better. CBT can be done individually or with a group of people.

You will have to XXXXXXX a Psychiatrist for this. This is the best and most effective therapy seen. You need not take sleeping pills for this. You will need to consult a doctor for these pills too.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up.