Sleeping with legs curled leaving them numb. Is that normal?

Question
i sleep with my legs curled. up and bent and sometimes it make my leg go numb feeling is that normalmy legs go numb sometimes
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 minutes later

I would like to reassure you that what you are experiencing is not unusual and occurs in a lot of people.

This happens as the nerves of a particular region get compressed when we sleep in an awkward posture. This makes that part go numb and makes any movement of that part difficult.

As long as normal sensation returns and you're able to walk properly in a few minutes, there is nothing that you need to worry about.

I hope I have answered your question. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Sleeping with legs curled leaving them numb. Is that normal? 17 minutes later
thanks i thought i was a tumor or something bad

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 minutes later

Thanks for reverting.

No, it is not a tumor. It is a totally normal occurrence that you don't need to be worried about.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sleeping with legs curled leaving them numb. Is that normal? 14 minutes later
so u would know if something was really wrong with u like a tumor

Thanks for reverting.

There are certain tumors which do cause compression of the nerves and result in loss of sensation and movement. They also can cause severe pain. But the compression associated with tumors is not temporary; it would typically not go away on its own.

Further, there would be other symptoms associated with a tumor. These symptoms would be localized to the area from the tumor is originating and other symptoms like fatigue, anorexia and weight loss.

Tumors which specifically affect nerves like neurofibromas often cause painless, slow growing lumps.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Sleeping with legs curled leaving them numb. Is that normal? 43 hours later
hey i just had a baby eight weeks ago would i know if i had a tumor in my head

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

Tumors in the head typically cause headache, vomiting, failure of lactation and other signs depending on the area of the brain that is involved.

These tumors can typically be detected by a computerized tomography scan (CT scan) or a magnetic resonance imaging scan (MRI scan) of the brain.

Since you just had a baby 8 weeks ago, your gynecologist would have investigated you appropriately if there were any symptoms pointing towards the same.

As more information can help a physician help you better, I would request you to tell me about any unusual symptoms that you have been experiencing.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards.