Sleeping for 9 hours. Weight 4.1 kgs. Normal?

Hi, my son was born on 15th April’2013. From past 2 days, I have observed that in total he is sleeping for 9 hours in a day (24 hours). His weight is 4.1 Kgs.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Hello thanks for writing to us.

Went through your query in detail.

The weight of the child is good enough.

I wanted to know few things-1. is the child sleeping continuously for a 9 hr stretch , or is he sleeping in breaks waking up for feeds in between and a total of 9 hrs.
2. is the child feeding well from his mother. he passing urine and stools well the child responding to your voice well

If the answer is yes for the all the questions and if the child is waking up in between for feeds , then nothing to worry.

But if the child is sleeping for 9 hrs at a stretch which un arousable along with weakness ,fever, irritability , not feeding well, decreased urine , then you might have to seek a pediatrician for a thorough check up.

Thank you, hope i have cleared your query. Regards.