Sleep disorder. Cannot sleep until late night. What can I do?

Dear Doctor,

I am 31 years old and Single, and work as a s/w engr in Bangalore. I have this sleep disorder problem, as I could not able to sleep until 2 AM or 3 AM in night where most of the people says that 2 Am - 4 Am between sleep is the complete sleep.

Please suggest me a solution or healthy habits to solve this problem.

Rest all the others things are fine with me, I am taking regular meals, tea & coffee (2 times), have XXXXXXX tea before going to sleep and maintain other health hygiene well.

Of course, I don't do lot of physical work and exercise.

My Mob: 0000, in case you want to talk to me directly.

Best Regards,
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

There is nothing like "Sleep between 2 a.m. to 4 a.m." For effective / quality sleep, timing of sleep, Dinner time, exercise and sleeping environment, all are important. To improve your sleep Hygiene you should take your dinner at about 8.00 pm, have an evening walk, should go to bed at fix time around 10.00 pm, spare time for regular exercise in the morning and so on. You should not carry your office anxiety to your home.

In addition you should get your Blood Pressure checked, and if it is not normal, please get it treated. As Tea contains Caffeine, you should not take XXXXXXX tea before going to bed. You can take XXXXXXX tea in the morning. If still, you don't get good sleep, you can occasionally take anti anxiety drug like alprazolam before going to bed, but be cautious, it is habit forming.

Hope I have replied your query. If you have any further query, I am available.

With good wishes,