Sleep aid,RA,OTC,auto immune disorder

Hi, I bought an OTC natural sleep aid from a local national chain pharmacy but I didnt read the back of the box until I got it home. It cautions "do not take if you have an auto immune disorder". I have been an RA patient for about 1-1/2 years and won't take this without talking to my rhematologist on my next visit and I can always return it, but Im just really curious as to why.

The supplement facts are: L-theanine 200mg, Melatonin 2.5 mg, chamomile Flower Extract (Chamomilla recutita) 17mg, Passion Flower Extract (Passiflora incarnate)17mg, Lemon Balm Leaf Extract (Melissa officalis) 16mg.

Other ingredients: Medium chain Triglycerides, Geletin, Glycerin, Soy Lecithin, Water, Beeswax, Maltodextrin, Titanium Dioxide(artificial color), Blue 1, Red 40, Yellow 6.

Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 18 hours later

Melatonin has been linked to autoimmune hepatitis and precipitation of symptoms in 'Crohns disease'.

The problem relevant to RA are as follows:
1. Melatonin can promote collagen-induced arthritis in mice and stimulate primary cultures of synovial macrophages from RA patients to produce interleukin-12 as well as nitric oxide.

2. Recent studies by "Cutolo and Maestroni" indicate that melatonin production in RA patients seems to be higher than in healthy controls at the beginning of the night and in early morning.

Interestingly, the melatonin increase in the early morning correlated with the typical peaking of joint stiffness and pain.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any more doubts, I will be available to answer them.