Skull base surgery, lesion removal, left side facial twitching, headaches, pain in temples, spasms while speaking. Treatment ?

I am a 63 year old female. i had skull base surgery one year ago to have a lesion removed. I have been doing well. Two weeks ago I started having left side facial drawing up. and also my jaw drawing up also. Having some minor headaches. some minor pain on my left temple area. When the spasms start i have differculty saying words. please help.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Drawing of the left side of the face and the jaw can be due to involvement of the facial nerve on the left side of the body. When these spasms occur you can have difficulty saying words.

Spasms of the face is due to irritation of the left facial nerve. It can be due to injury to the nerve, exposure to radiation, post surgery complication, involvement of the facial nerve by the tumor, abnormal blood vessel irritating the nerve on the left side. Other causes which can present like this is partial seizures due to right brain problems.

If you have undergone surgery one year back for your skull base lesion. I would be interested to know the nature of the lesion, benign or malignant. Did you undergo additional treatments like chemotherapy or radiotherapy after the surgery. I would also like to know from you if you had Bell's palsy in the past.

Also let me know if you loose conscious at the time of spasms. How long do these spasms last. Have they occurred in your sleep. Do you have headache or neck pain and weakness of the left hand or feet. Do you notice any jerks in the hand at the time of facial jerks.

I will be able to guide you in a better way if you can provide me these details.

Take care. Bye
Follow-up: Skull base surgery, lesion removal, left side facial twitching, headaches, pain in temples, spasms while speaking. Treatment ? 6 hours later
My lesion was benign. meningioma, no bell's palsy.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later

Thanks for providing me the detail.

Post operative meningiomas can sometimes cause focal seizures. So we need to rule out these in your case.

Other possibility is Left hemifacial spasm. So XXXXXXX your Neurologist and get investigated for the above problems and start on the treatment accordingly.

I hope, this answers your query.

Wish you good health.