Skipping heartbeat, taken Tenormin, worn holter monitor, echo, have svt, mvp, pvc, pac, aneurysm

Question
My heart keeps skipping beats and it feels differently sometimes than others. When I am lying in the bed on the computer with ear rested on hand I can hear my heart beating in my ear, and can actually hear what it is doing sometimes. I can feel it skip and then it speed up some beating faster, and then it will beat one beat real hard and strong, and then I felt it actually stop beating and heard it stop beating for a sec. then beating again then double beating again. When I feel it do this I will hold my breath sometimes and be very still and it will not quit doing this until I start breathing again.Why is this? And, why does it feel like it skips in different places sometimes than others. I have svt, mvp, pvc's pac's and an anuersym in my atrial septum. I do have a regular echo a year and vist my heart dr. who I don't really like all that much . He never takes very much time and rushes in and out again. I live in a small town, so not many here to see. I take tenormin for the svt. I am 51 and female and weigh 123 lbs, non smoker and don't drink. I know in the past when I have worn a holter monitor and event recorder it has shown that I have alot of skips and some pauses of two seconds and somthing about couplets. I have read where couplets were XXXXXXX If so, then why doesn't my heart dr. seem concerned. And why does it feel like it is skipping in different places sometimes than others. I know that they tell me it doesn't actually skip and is just extra beats and cant skip, but I have read where it actually can skip some beats and stop for a bit. I know that is what mine is doing, because I can hear and feel it sometimes. Sometimes it makes me feel dizzy and weak for a moment like it took my breath away. Scary feeling. Some more than others. Why is this?
I have another question. Why do I read where pvc's are really svt. I know that pvc's are extra beats before they need to beat, but isn't svt ur heart beating very fast. So how can beats before their time be svt? I can feel the pvc's and they don't feel fast, just like it actually skipped a beat and can hear them sometimes in my ear.When I have svt it is just beating really hard like when ur exercising and it's beating really fast but not like pvc's. Can u explain this please?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello
Premature ventricular contractions are premature beats of only the ventricle and not atria before the ventricles are completely relaxed. This causes irregular beating of heart and when you hear a skipped beat that is your normal heart rate.
Supraventricular tachycardias involve both atria and ventricles in the irregular beating of the heart and are stronger and more regular contractions.
Feeling dizziness with the irregular beats is because of the incomplete filling up of the heart as it does not get adequate time to relax to fill up with blood. So the amount of blood pumped out with each beat is lesser than optimum and causes dizziness.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.

Follow-up: Skipping heartbeat, taken Tenormin, worn holter monitor, echo, have svt, mvp, pvc, pac, aneurysm 3 hours later
No, really u didn't answer my questions at all. The first part of the long paragraph is where most of my information and questions were. U just replyed back to the second question. I was telling u that my heart has skipped for quite some time on and off. I have taken tenormin for it. It use to feel different when it would skip like on the upper right top part. Now it seems to skip on the left lower part of my heart. Why does the skips feel differently?I also told u I can feel them skip or double beat or whatever they do. I can hear it in my ear when I am lying down and have my ear rested on my hand. I can actually feel it and hear it speed up and beat differently after it felt like it skipped. Then it did the one hard strong beat and the I could actually feel it stop beating for a sec or two and that made me feel weird. The drs' have told me it doesn't actually skip a beat, but beats a beat before it needs to do so. I have read though that it can actually stop or skip a beat for a second. I have had pauses of two seconds when I wore the event recorder and halter monitor. Runs of two and couplets or whatever that is with pauses of two seconds. Is that dangerous??? What is it doing? Please go back and re read my upper questions and please answer my concerns please. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

For better understanding, you can write your queries point wise at the end of your full description.

It is natural to hear your beats when you are conscious of your problem. You are hearing this when lying down or resting.

Couplets are incidental harmless findings. They do not affect the heart function.

The two different sites of palpable beat that you have noticed is due to some of the beats arising from right ventricle and others from the left ventricle.

These are harmless and should not cause you to worry.

Tenormin is an anti hypertensive and reduces the sensation of palpitation.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Regards.