Skipped meals every day, have bad stomach and go to bathroom after eating but no diarrhea. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I skip meals every day... I eat once a day very late in the day. I'm very busy and very STRESSED. I've been having really bad stomachache that doesn't go away not even with food.... and when I do eat sometimes I have to go to the bathroom right away and its diarrhea. Whats wrong how can I get better?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to gastritis.

Detailed Answer:
Based on your symptoms, I think you might be suffering from Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or acute gastritis. Stress and skipping the meals further aggravates this problem.

You will need proton pump inhibitors and antacids for a week or two. Omeprazole is usually available over the counter and can be taken once a day before breakfast. Check with your pharmacist about its availability.

In addition, you also need some strict life style modification like-

Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms.
If you smoke, stop smoking.
Lose weight if needed.
Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals.
Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. A minimum of 2-3 hours should be lapsed after a meal.
Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.
In case the symptoms are persistent then do consult your physician for stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.