Skipped heartbeats. Done with EKG. What is wrong?

Hi - I am a 48 year old male in good shape - Run 3 - 5 miles four days a week and spend my other nights at the gym.
I have been experiencing what I think are PAC's quite regularly lately and was wondering if there is something I can do to control/cure these types of heart beats.
It typically never happens during the day - however - it happens at night when I start to settle down.
Last night - I had these what I will call skipped beats for a couple of hours. No pain or discomfort - just a feeling of uncertainty as to what is happening.
I went to see a cardiologist (Dr JeeJeeBhoy) and she asked me to wear a heart monitor - At the time - everything was great and there were not issues so nothing was detected - If I were to wear one tonight - you might see a very strange EKG reading as my heart beats are all over the map
Looking for some advice / help
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Well arrythmias can be there.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your history there is a definite possibilty that you might be having arrythmias thats why your doctor asked you to wear a heart monitor so that 24 hour recording of your heart beats will be available . It is possible that arrythmias occur for some time and terminate on their own .

They may be provoke by some events like exercise etc. thats why a detailed study of the EKG is required to establish the pattern and thus treat them accordingly . Anti arrythmic drugs need to be prescribed after determining the type of arrythmia whether it is atrial or ventricular.

Dr. Shruti