Skin tag cauterized near breast. Will the scar show up on a mammogram?

Infertility Specialist
Hi I recently had a skin tag removed close to my breast and it was cauterized -- will the scar show up on a mammogram? This was done4 months ago.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I have read your problem and I understand your concerns.

Mammography is the process of using low-energy-X-rays (usually around 30 kVp) to examine the human breast and is used as a diagnostic and a screening tool. The goal of mammography is the early detection of breast cancer, typically through detection of characteristic masses and/or microcalcifications.

Let me reassure you that the superficial scars as you have mentioned will not be shown in the mammogram. Hence donot worry about it. Even larger scars can be differentiated by radiologists before reporting the mammogram. Hence no need to worry as your scar will not interfere in mammogram.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available to answer any other queries you have. If no more queries, please accept my answer & close this discussion.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol