Skin rubbed to heels, peeled loose skin, swollen, mucus leakage. Used hydrogen peroxide. Is the pinkish bruise a bad sign?

I bought new boots and have not been used to walking "hard" as I have been incarcerated for 3 years. Started work and had skin rubb off my heels. I peeled away loose skin. Continued to work next two days. Feet became swollen, thick mucus leaked from wounds. (I used hydrogen peroxide and soaked in salt water). Wound looks better but I have pinkish, purplish bruising on the sides of both my heels and my feet are still swollen. Is this a bad sign.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later

You had not mentioned the start and duration of the events.

The situation described is expected way of healing. The feet would be swollen during the infection. You have acquired infection through the abrasions. For now your concern should not progress to worry. Just avoid the new shoe some more days / till the time the swelling subsides. You can pop an over the counter NSAID like Ibuprofen, 400mg.

Watch out for these, if you develop any of the below, please get a prescription from a local GP.
1) If you develop swelling and tenderness. The swelling spreads from foot to ankle.
2) You develop fever
3) The healing takes more than a week

Let me know if you have few more concerns.