Skin rubbed and reddened due to use of hip wadders. Should a doctor be consulted?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was using hip wadders in a salt marsh and the hip wadders were a little to big causing a bag near my XXXXXXX After a day of work I removed the hip wadders and found that my skin had been rubbed off or burned on both shins. The worse of the two is 2 inches x 1 Inch concave area that isn't scabbing well and has a red area around it. Is there a point where I should consult a doctor on this?
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
I have seen the picture attached with the query.
The open sore on your leg needs adequate care to avoid infection.
First of all you need to clean the wound. Wash it with savlon or mild soap and water and then remove the debris, dead tissue and pus from the area using a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution till you can see the red or pink colored tissue underneath it or active bleeding is seen. Bleeding helps in removing the infection and early healing of the wound.
Next apply bacitracin or neosporin or soframycin ointment or antibiotic powder over the area an cover it with a thin cotton cloth and preferably bandage it to keep the area covered to prevent it from further infections.
You can get it examined and go for a tetanus shot and the antibiotics required to control the infectipn after consulting your primary physician.
1. Give enough rest to the affected part.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.