Skin rashes spreading from legs to stomach and lower back. Can it be due to poison ivy?

I have a rash that started on my lower legs and has spread to my stomach, lower back and right bicep. It's small pinkish dots, a little bit raised. Very Itchy. I have looked through rash pictures and haven't seem anything like it. I am 54 years old my wife doesn't have this rash, I am 5' 9" 198 Lbs. I am active outdoors gardening, golfing and fishing.but I don't believe it's poison Ivy or Oak but maybe? No diet or laundry soap changes, It's been over a week with the itching
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 54 minutes later

As per the description provided by you, the possibilities are papular urticaria, contact dermatitis, scabies, disseminated eczema, etc.

I would request you to answer the following parameters which will help me narrowing down the possibilities:
- Do you have fever, sore throat, body aches, etc. ?
- Do you have lesions in between the finger web spaces, wrist, groin, genitals?
- Do the skin lesions have punctum or opening at their centre?
- Are the lesions persisting or they go away?

Pictures of the lesion taken under bright light will be very useful. You can upload good quality pictures of the affected areas by using the feature available on the right side of this page.

Meanwhile you can apply calamine lotion over affected area and use over the counter tablets such as zyrtec can be used for itching.

Anticipating your reply.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Skin rashes spreading from legs to stomach and lower back. Can it be due to poison ivy? 21 hours later
No fever sore throat or body aches. I feel fine
Nothing on those areas
No openings
it is persisting.
Cortizone lotion 10 does help the itching
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 20 hours later
Hi dear,

Thanks for the details.

I still cannot view the image uploaded by you.

Apply cutizone lotion for 5 days.

If the condition persists beyond 5 days a consultation with dermatologist should be sought.

A skin biopsy may be needed for confirmation of diagnosis.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Sudarshan