Skin rashes on hands, face, back and neck. Phototherapy done. Urticaria diagnosed. What is the best treatment?

I developed a rash on my hands, legs, face, back and neck regions in the month of November 2009. Initially no doctors were able to diagnose what was the underlying cause, and I was on a lot of medication including phototherapy. However, the rash and burning sensation only increased. I also tried Ayurveda treatment where I discovered that I have urticaria. I was advised a complete intense detox therapy in April 2011. Even this did not help and the rash continued to persist. I stopped all treatment as I got pregnant in August 2011. During pregnancy I had severe vomiting for the first four and a half month and was taking Phenergan injections every day. I observed that the rash decreased and my skin cleared out. I had a c section in April 2012. My baby is now one and a half month old and the rash and burning sensation is come back. Recently, I was told by my gynaecologist that I have very high stress levels and she advised that I visit with a psychologist. Please advise what is the best treatment urticaria and rash. I would like to speak with an available dermatologist.
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 22 hours later
HI dear,

Thanks for writing in.

I understand your problem and will try to advise you the best professional recommendations.

Urticaria is a chronic condition with periods of intermitttent relief and aggravations.

It can aggravated by stress, perticular foods(like vegetables with seeds like tomato ,bhindi, brinjals etc, bakery products, bread pizza , coloured drinks sweets ,nonveg foods), certain drugs etc.
Please try to avoid these things.

Also I would like to know
a)For what indication you have taken phototherapy?
b) Do these urticarial rashes remain as it is or go away in some hours?
c)Do you get fever/ any other symptoms with the rashes?
d) Have you experienced swelling around eyes/lips/vulva anytime?
e) Can you provide me details of treatment you have taken for urticaria?

Please answer the above questions and I will be in better position to help you.

If you can provide photographs of skin lesions it would be of great help in diagnosing the condition.

Treatment of urticaria is primarily antihistaminic drugs like fexofenadine and loratidine.

Immunotherapy and autologus serum injection are advanced treatments.

Hope this helps you .

Awiting your response .

Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatologist.