Skin rashes, diagnosed with Atopic dermatitis. Skin biopsy to be done. Can Lisinopril cause dermatitis?

Can Lisinopril cause dermatitis or severe skin rash resembling dermatitis? My friend has had skin rash diagnosed as atopic dermatitis on and off since last April. She finally got in with a dermatologist Mon and has a skin biopsy scheduled for tomorrow. The dermatologist asked if she ever had asthma. She hasn't but does suffer from an allergic cough usually in the spring and fall. This year she did not get the cough but got the rash. Can asthma settle in the skin?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thnks for the query.

It would be very unusual for lisinopril to cause a rash. It can cause some hypersensitivity in the form of lip swelling or cough but a rash is not well known in the setting of lisinopril use.

Atopic dermatitis is a term that reflects a systemic allergy. Sometimes this is due to exposure to something - soap or detergent or environmental exposures. It is remotely possible that the lisinopril tablet could be related to this but the only way to know that for sure would be to discontinue it for a month and re-evaluate.

I am thinking she may be showing signs of allergies. She might benefit after the biopsy from a referral to an allergist who can perform skin testing to determine what she might be sensitive to.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns please let me know.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Skin rashes, diagnosed with Atopic dermatitis. Skin biopsy to be done. Can Lisinopril cause dermatitis? 1 hour later
Will the biopsy indicate allergy problem?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

Regarding the biopsy a pathologist can examine all of the cells in the biopsy sample and can actually indicate if there is allergic phenomenon. There are certain cells of the immune system which are more prominent in a situation where allergy is the main cause.

Again I thank you for submitting your question and follow up. If you have any additional concerns or clarifications I would be happy to discuss them.

Dr. Robert