Skin rashes, blisters, allergic to preservatives. Has tobacco addiction. Can tobacco cause allergy too?

My husband has had a rash on his body for about a year, they did an allergy test for chemicals and found he is allergic to a preservative so we switched laundry soap and no longer use fabric softeners, seems to help a bit but he is still itching and they have little water blisters in the rash area. He wasn't tested for chewing tobbaco and was wondering if he may be allergic this, which he chews every day. Or any other suggestions would be helpful.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 45 minutes later

The history stated by you suggests that your husband is suffering from an irritant contact dermatitis which is an allergy to a particular substance which comes in contact with skin and causes blisters to develop at the site of contact.

In case a person is allergic to some food substance then a skin rash occurs which is just redness and no blisters.

The avoidence of the allergy material coming in contact with skin is a must to avoid blister formation.

Once formed the blisters can be treated with a cream containing an antibacterial agent alongwith a mild steroid.

Hope I have answered your query. please write back to me if you have any further concerns.

Dr. Rohit