Skin rash, red and inflamed skin, looks like insect bites. What causes these rashes?

Strange skin rash/biteLast night around 4 AM I woke up and noticed a patch of skin on my arm, about two inches by half an inch, was red and inflamed. I didn't think much of it and assumed I had been scratching in my sleep.
I woke up again this morning and the red patch had turned into two lines of nearly perfect squares, with red skin as the outline, and normal looking skin in the middle. It's really bizzare looking. Each square is a little over a centimeter, and looks as if they possibly are stemming from a bug bite.
Can you tell me what this is, why its happening, and if I need to get it looked at?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
Dear Dr.
I would be in a better position to answer your query if you could please send in a photograph of the lesion.

Dr.Rohit Batra