Skin rash, cracking and peeling skin in the testicle and anus area. Should i be worried?

I have a rash that started on the front of my testicles and has spread to the back of my testicles all the way up the crack of my anus. It has caused the skin to peel on my inner thighs and caused many fissures down the crack of my anus to the sides where my testicles are connected to my scrotom. It also has caused the skin between my testicles and anus to crack as well.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

In the absence of having a picture or being able to examine you I think what you have described is a fungal infection. This is also sometimes referred to as jock itch or ringworm. The medical term for this is tinea cruris.

There are several topical preparations which should help improve your symptoms. I would recommend that you consider purchasing a tube of "trying is all at the pharmacy. This is an over-the-counter medication. You can apply this cream three times per day for the next 10 days and it should start to make a difference fairly quickly.

On some occasions however, these types of fungal infections can become quite extensive requiring a prescription. I would advise that you try the topical cream over the counter for the next couple of days and if the symptoms progress I think you should see your doctor for a full examination and consultation. At that time your doctor may recommend a prescription type of cream.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns please do not hesitate to ask. Otherwise please accept my response.

Dr. Robert