Skin over the thyroid gland turns red like sunburn during periods. Treatment?

Question
Hello, I'm a 37 year old female. For the last six months, the skin over my thyroid gland turns red, resembling a sunburn, a few days before my period starts each month and stays that way until a couple days after it has ended. Do you have an idea of what could be causing this? Could there be a problem with my thyroid?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Red and sunburn like skin above the thyroid gland specifically during the periods is not likely to be associated with thyroid gland disturbances. These kind of changes associated with periods is generally due to variation in the female hormone levels. Taking oral contraceptive pills regularly might help to reduce your problem. As such, it is not a serious health problem and may subside on its own after 5-6 cycles.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.