Skin on face is red like burned. keeps drying and very blotchy. What could be the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
A week and a half ago, my skin on my face started to pinch and dry out really quickly. Then last Sunday my face broke out in something, I dont know what it is. It's very red and it feels like ive been burned. my neck is now all red and blotchy also and sore. I cant keep my skin moisturised at all as it keeps drying out and does so every couple of minutes. I cant wear any make up to cover it up as it just goes blotchy.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your description the most possible causes in my opinion are-
1. Erythema multiforme.
2. Dermatitis- due to skin infection, allergy,etc.
3. Dry skin- Xerosis.
4. Heat rash.
A direct examination by a dermatologist is the best way to get it diagnosed.
Most simple rashes improve with gentle skin care and avoiding irritating substances. You can help the improvement by
* Avoid scrubbing your skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying cosmetic lotions directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
* Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes.
The rashes usually take 5-7 days to disappear.
If the rashes become more of purple rather than red then you must consult a dermatologist immediately.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.