Skin on butt area and back dry and black. Why does it get itchy? Moisturizer helps. Start to worry?

the skin on my butt area and lower back area is really dry and black, although my skin color is light, could you tell what can i do?? It gets itchy too when too dry although after applying the moisturizer the itchiness goes away however, the skin again dries up really soon but i am really concern about skin being dark.
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Dry Skin
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

I have seen the photograph and the symptoms seem to be due to dry skin or eczema skin.

It is a form of inflammation skin characterized by redness, skin edema (swelling), itching and dryness, crusting, flaking and cracking.

I suggest you to get the diagnosis confirmed from a dermatologist after examination. Steroids is one of the best treatment for eczema but it should be used only under medical supervision as it can cause skin thinning and atrophy. For the itching you can take antihistaminics like Benadryl or levocetrizine.

Follow these treatment options till you get an examination done from a dermatologist:

1)     Avoid using soaps and harsh detergents which can dry the skin and deprive the skin of natural oils. Instead use a mild soap like Dove or colloidal oatmeal baths.
2)     Avoid using products that may dry the skin such as powders or perfume.
3)     Wear cotton clothes and change the underwear twice daily
4)     Keep the area moisturized by using light emollients.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.