Skin on ankle getting darker. Had undergone laser surgery on leg for varicose veins. Any suggestion?

Pediatrician
Question
About two years ago I had the laser surgery on my right leg in which some varicose veins were closed of. Before I was released (30 days later)there were some dark spotsat the closed veins and he drew some blood out with a needle. Since that surgery my right ankle has been steadily get darker. Which I feel is staining of the skin. Is their a way I can bleach or change the discoloration?
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Pigmentation Problems

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 4 hours later

Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

Skin burns & Skin colour changes are a few side effects following laser treatment for varicose veins. You have mentioned your doctor drew some blood out with a needle; this is done to reduce the skin discoloration following surgery.

The skin discoloration (staining) is due to deposition of hemosiderin (a breakdown product of red blood cells) that has been deposited in the tissue while the body is resorbing the treated blood vessels & also there is an increase in melanin production.

But in most patients this resolves within a year of surgery & in rare cases it may take 1-3 years.

Don't worry, even though it takes time, the staining will eventually resolve in some people. However, you can still discuss about q-switched XXXXXXX laser treatment (vaporizes out the hemosiderin staining), Auriderm (contains vitamin K oxide), etc., with your surgeon. Also a moisturizing cream or a bleaching cream may offer some improvement

Hope the information was useful. I will be happy to answer any further queries in this regard.

Take care,

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD

Follow-up: Skin on ankle getting darker. Had undergone laser surgery on leg for varicose veins. Any suggestion? 2 hours later
So the darkening skin is due to basically blood that was in the veins that my body absorbed, it was not absorbed and it caused the darkening of the tissue on the inside of my ankle. Is the bleaching agent you discussed a prescription medicine or over the counter and where can I find it?

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 1 hour later

Yes, based on the information you provided the darkening skin is due to basically blood that was in the VARICOSE veins which has not been completely re-absorbed. Yet, I would advise you to visit a dermatologist, so that he can examine the staining and confirm diagnosis.

Auriderm skin clearing gel is usually available exclusively through the offices of Dermatologists and other qualified skin care professionals.

Hope the information was useful. I will be happy to answer any further queries in this regard, if no, kindly close the query & rate it.

Take care,

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD