Skin lesion removed from vagina lips. How long it takes to heal?

I just removed a skin lesion on my left hand side of my vagina lips. Now left with an open sore. Is this going to heal?.I am sexually active.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 23 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

If there is any type of skin change such as that which you describe which does not completely heal then you need to have this evaluated as soon as possible by your dermatologist.

The major concern for you is that if the lesion is not healing that it could become a problem in the future. The fact that you have a history of HPV does place you at increased risk for possible skin cancer.

Again I would highly recommend that you have a physician evaluate this area as soon as possible.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any additional follow-up questions.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Skin lesion removed from vagina lips. How long it takes to heal? 11 hours later
It's a red sore now at the moment have started applying dead sea salt mixed with water three times daily and am letting air get to it. This should speed up the healing process?. On average what is the healing time of a sore on genitals?. I had anal warts and after using that cream left me red sores. Until eventually going. So can this sore on my vagina be similar like that means its healing?. I booked in to the gum clinic tomorrow phew.

Thanks for your help in the future if any problems will be back if can find you on here. Is there some history of some sort on here making it easier to find?.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hi and thanks for the followup,

Healing can take one to three weeks depending on the size of the wound or injury. I am glad you made an appointment to have this evaluated however. What you describe may reflect a slow healing process.

If you have any additional questions you may direct them to me through the site anytime.

Dr. Galamaga