Skin irritation, sore thick artery. Groin hernia operation done. Is the skin itch related to the operation?

i have an area next to my belly button which gets very scratchy like i have sunburn skin when my shirt rubs on it when i rub my fingers over the area it feels like there is a thick artery there which gets a bit sore if i keep rubbing it when i lift my shirt no more irritation i had a groin hernia op 5 weeks ago could this be connected
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 23 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long are you having this problem?
2.) Do you have a red swollen rash there?
3.) Do you have similarly affected areas anywhere else on your body?

Your history suggests you have Contact dermatitis which is Inflammatory and allergic reaction to a offending agent. The offending agent has to be eliminated after finding out. Kindly get yourself examined by a Dermatologist so that he/she may examine you and run few tests like,

1.) Bloodwork.
2.) Patch test.

I don't find any relation of this itching with your operated Hernia.

Once the cause is confirmed after examination, you will treated accordingly with steroid medications and anti itch medications, both topically and orally.

In addition to this, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Wear smooth textured cotton clothing, this will avoid skin irritation.
2.) Apply cool and wet compresses to the affected area.
3.) Avoid scratching as much as possible. Trim your finger nails, wear a cotton glove in the night. If you can't keep yourself from itching, apply a dressing or bandage to the rash.
4.) Avoid washing clothes using soaps and detergents which aggravate your symptoms.
5.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up query.