Skin irritation on leg, itching, burning. Applied Neosporin and Ring guard. Breastfeeding baby. What to do?

Dermatologist
Question
I am XXXXXXX , 29 years, housewife.
I am having skin irritation in my leg near toe . initially it was in a small area , having lot of eaching and burning sensation. applied borolene ,neosporene and ring guard but no result. now its is slowly expanding. No other side effect apart from the aching, area is red in color and expanding very slowly in circular type. what to do? please suggest a medicine or cure.
# Note: My baby is still breast feeding.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 36 minutes later
hello XXXXXXX,

thanks for writing in,

This may either be nummular dermatitis or ringworm.

Is it possible for you to attach a picture of the rash, here in the query page,

I will be able to suggest you better.

the treatment of these condition are very different, so we have first to be sure,

Till then, continue using borolene,

awaiting your response

Thanks

Follow-up: Skin irritation on leg, itching, burning. Applied Neosporin and Ring guard. Breastfeeding baby. What to do? 4 hours later
Dear Sir,
I am trying to attach the photo but it is not accepting.I think that option is disabled in this page after 1st question. I can email the same to you ,if you can kindly provide your email.
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 11 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

You may email the pic to YYYY@YYYY with Sub: Attn Dr Gaurang

Follow-up: Skin irritation on leg, itching, burning. Applied Neosporin and Ring guard. Breastfeeding baby. What to do? 55 minutes later
Dear Sir;

With reference to the trailing conversation, please ind the photos attached.

Kindly provide a solution ASAP.

Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

thanks for the pics.

This is Lichen SImplex Chronicus, an advanced form of nummular dermatitis (eczema).

You may apply a potent steroid cream like clobetasol propionate twice daily till the lesion resolves. It will take approximately 2 weeks to resolve.

Avoid scratching the area and keep it moisturized. this will help in faster resolution.

P.S.- the area shown in the pic is not near the great toe. Do you have something near the toe also? If yes, then it is worth attaching a pic of that lesion too.

Thanks