Skin infection on hand. Spreading slowly, itches, cracks, peels, bleeds and reddens. What can it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am 22 year Old female and I have had a skin infection on my thumb and now my hand for about three years and it is spreading very slow but it's spreading. It sometimes itches it's red it cracks and peels and sometimes bleeds I want to know what it is and how I can treat it
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

I have seen the photographs attached with your query.

You have these exfoliating skin lesions for last three years. These skin infection rashes seem to be allergic or autoimmune in origin.

Before commenting on the diagnosis and the treatment options, I would like you to answer the following questions

1. Has the rash spread from above downwards?
2. Do you notice any fluid filled boils or vesicles?
3. Do you see some lesions improving and some worsening at the same time?
4. What treatments have you taken so far for last three years?

Skin sensitivity tests and skin biopsy under care of a proficient dermatologist will help in proper diagnosis. The treatment will depend on the cause.

Awaiting your response.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Skin infection on hand. Spreading slowly, itches, cracks, peels, bleeds and reddens. What can it be? 9 hours later
the rash started in the middle on my thumb and spread up down and to the sides. there are no fluid filled boils or vesicles or anything like that. it seems that sometimes a part of it will be healing up but then it just starts peeling again and getting it wet makes it Peel more. I don't have any type of insurance and can't really afford to go to the doctor so I thought it was psoriasis so I tried psoriasin but if didn't help I tried using blue star and just an over the counter lotion to help with dry skin.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It seems to be like psoriasis. Oral and topical steroid ointments like 1% hydrocortisone ointment can help you. Over the counter medicines are not likely to help with the improvement to a large extent.
You need prescription medicines for which you will have to consult a dermatologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Skin infection on hand. Spreading slowly, itches, cracks, peels, bleeds and reddens. What can it be? 3 hours later
is it psoriasis ?
and what are the names of some ointments that I can use?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Hello and thanks again.

The symptoms you reported seems like psoriasis or eczema. A skin biopsy is needed to confirm the diagnosis.

The following medications are helpful in such conditions. You may try them:
1. Hydrocortisone ointment like- Cortaid, Lanacort.
2. Aloe vera extracts ointments like Aloe vesta
3. Salicylic acid soap- Oxy clean soap version.

These will help in temporary relief. And prescription medicines after examination will help in proper remission.

Wish you a trouble free early recovery.

thank you so much doctor

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 hours later
You are most welcome.
Wish you a trouble free early recovery.