Skin in some fingers is cracked and dry. Tried anti fungal cream. Very sore and getting wet. Suggest the cure?

Dec 2012

The skin in some of my fingers near the tops is cracked and dry. I have tried anti fungal cream, betnovet, as well as manuca honey. they continue to crack easily. They are v sore when getting wet. Just when they appear to recover the slighest strain and they crack again back to the start. They have been like this for about 2 years. One index finger in the beginning now five of the ten. When i pull off what looks like dead skin it only makes it worst. Can you help
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are suffering from xerosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello Hayes,

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I am so sorry for your troubling skin condition and I can understand that this situation must really be making you feel worst.
The condition you are experiencing on your fingers is generally termed xerosis whereby the skin becomes dry and cracked. With the wrong conditions, such as exposure to allergens, excessive washing or hereditary traits, dry skin can turn from mild redness into a painful cracking and peeling skin problem. Hands and fingers are two of the most common sites of skin dryness and cracking caused by most types of eczema-based skin rash. Aging is one of the major risk factors of skin dryness. Treatment regimens include over-the-counter and prescription medicines but also rely on vigilant use of moisturizers and careful skin routines to encourage improvement of symptoms.
To use moisturizing lotion, wash your hands with warm water and a gentle soap or a lotion-based cleanser, like Cetaphil. XXXXXXX your hands dry and apply a moisturizing lotion every time you wash your hands, and consider using a heavier, greasier lotion before bed each night.
There are three basic types of hand moisturizers. Ointments are quite greasy, but very effective. Cream-based lotions absorb into the skin, but do leave greasy reside. Lighter lotions are the most popular choice; however, they are also the least effective. Choose a thicker ointment or cream formulation rather than a lighter lotion and avoid hand lotions containing potentially drying alcohol.
Also medications such as betamethasone, hydrocortisone creams can help with xerosis.
See a dermatologist for proper medical evaluation and treatment.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah