Ask a Dentist   »  

Skin hanging under my tongue, one is irritating. Should I be concerned ?

General Surgeon
This may seem silly. I haven't really paid attention to the underneath of my tongue before. I had a gum that got infected so I have been worrying. I felt like I have an ulcer under my tongue but its actually skin hanging. It is pretty small and I notice that I have them on both sides. Only the one is irritated. should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 10 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Most probably what you are looking at is "sub lingual duct openings" present in the floor of the mouth in the anterior part where the tongue is attached. The openings are seen as sprouting structures and may appear as loose skin fold in some.

If you do not have any other complain and you are asymptomatic, you need not worry.

If there is some problem, I would suggest you to visit your surgeon and discuss about it.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I have missed out on any of your concerns.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Skin hanging under my tongue, one is irritating. Should I be concerned ? 10 hours later
These are actually on the under side of the tongue. Where the two veins run on either side. I think they are usually bumps on most tongues however mine looks like loose skin. Thanks. They are probably the same thing just want to make sure. They do not hurt.
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 3 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

In my opinion, you most probably have normal anatomical structure with some variation. To confirm, please get a check up in order to be sure that nothing is wrong. I think an early diagnosis and treatment will pretty much help if something is wrong.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.