Skin growth on the nipple, no pain

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a skin growth on my nipple that has been there for a long time. It looks like the rest of my nipple, like another lobe. No pain, no underlying growth. I'm a 75 year old male.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 27 minutes later

I would like to know few more things to suggest you better.

1. How long has the growth been there?

2. Has the growth grown suddenly?

3. Is there any pain, ulceration of the growth, itching, eczema like scaling?

4. Any recent loss of weight?

Usually, if the nipple extension has been present since you can remember it can be skin tag, hypertrophied montgomeray gland and supernumerary nipple which is just duplication of nipple which can occur on various parts of the chest or front of abdomen. In such cases it is usually harmless.

If this is a recent growth, ulceration, eczema, loss of weight there is matter of concern. It can be possible melanoma, Paget's disease etc.

Since you need a thorough evaluation of this mass, I highly recommend you consult General Surgeon to rule out the above conditions.

If it is skin tag, you can get it removed after consulting with a Cosmetic surgeon. XXXXXXX gland can be removed by electrocautery or laser as well.

Supernumerary nipple can be removed by surgery although some cases have reported removal using cauterisation also.

In the case of suspicious mass, you will need further investigations to rule out possibility of tumors, though very rare, requires a consultation with your Doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.